should i bother??

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 24 13:14:33 UTC 2005

Serge de Souza wrote:
> Is there a patch set for the 2.6.10 kernel that only includes security
> fixes and no experimental stuff ?

The -ac patch set currently includes security fixes and known bug fixes,
so it's probably what you want (and the Fedora kernels are based on it).

Keep an eye on http://www.linux.org.uk, though: Alan Cox (who does the
-ac patches) will occasionally do "new feature" experimental releases.

> I am currently using a vanilla kernel
> and would like to patch it but can't really find anything kernelnewbies
> says that "ac" is stable but http://kernel.org/patchtypes/ac.html says
> the opposite.

That page is out of date now.

Alan used to produce -ac patches that were a proving ground for new code
and new features before they went into Linus' kernel, while trying to
keep the resulting kernels bug-free (at least for existing users, and
compared to their previous kernels). He largely succeeded.

Andrew Morton's -mm patches now fill this role.

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | "Land Rover say it is permanent, I say I have a
Exeter    Devon    UK | large selection of spanners and a big hammer..."