Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mon Jan 24 13:28:24 UTC 2005

Colin Charles wrote:

>> Why has the choice of fdisk disappeared?
>
> Because it scares users away. And on ppc, we need to show pdisk maybe

I've never seen any evidence that anyone has ever been "scared" by fdisk.
When it was offered, it was described as "for expert users only",
so it seems very unlikely anyone of a nervous disposition would try it.

In any case, I do not understand why fdisk is considered so dangerous.
As far as I can see, it does exactly what it says
(which is more than can be said for Disk Druid,
which does what it wants).
The only problem I can see that could arise with fdisk
would be if you deleted a partition by mistake,
but that seems to me quite difficult to do.

Note that I am not asking for Disk Druid to be removed.
I am simply asking for fdisk to be restored as a choice
(with the warning that it is only for experts, if you like).

I want to choose how my disk is partitioned,
and in my experience Disk Druid does not allow me to do this.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366