[way off-topic] legal disclaimers [Was: Re: Using Red hatEnterprise Linux (RHEL) at home]

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 24 13:48:13 UTC 2005

Lelegard Thierry wrote:
> Being the one whose message provoked this flame, I confirm that item
> 2 is the right one: One company mail server appends this useless
> disclaimer to *all* outgoing messages.

My commiserations.

> You should see it again in
> this message, although I do not see it while typing this message.

I didn't see it: hopefully someone has caught a clue.

> I am not the systeme administrator and I cannot do anything about
> that.
>
> Let me note that my message was a reply to a question in this list,
> providing information to someone who requested it. In short, if I get
> flamed about some stupid disclaimer that I did not want anyway when
> I try to help someone, maybe the solution is to stop trying to help.
> So please, stay focus on the message, not on the envelope.

Um. I don't think *you* were flamed.

You yourself just called the disclaimer "useless", and the posters were
basically agreeing with that summary. There is a certain amount of
resentment at the disclaimers, but understanding, too, that some mail
systems will add such things, and there's often not a lot mere users can
do about it. (Or mere systems administrators, either: if your company
gets Legal Advice that the text goes there, it's difficult to argue...)

So I don't think anything was aimed at you personally. And it would be a
pity if you felt you didn't want to contribute. (Of course, if you *can*
post without the disclaimer, that would be very nice!)

James.
--
James Wilkinson       | "Luck is my middle name," said Rincewind,
Exeter    Devon    UK | indistinctly. "Mind you, my first name is Bad."