Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 24 14:47:50 UTC 2005

Timothy Murphy said:
> Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>

>> if I follow what's going on, I think there are two alternatives.  Both
>> involve repartitioning the disk in a separate step.
>>
>> (1) You can do a hard disk install.  You need to partition the disk so
>> there is a partition you won't reformat (e.g. a separate /home).  Then
>> copy the ISOs to a directory there and boot off the CD.  (I vaguely
>> remember that this was discussed but I don't recall why you couldn't do
>>  it.)
>>
>> (2) I read somewhere that you could create a partition on the disk and
>> install the boot.iso image.  You could then boot from that hard disk
>> partition with the network card plugged in and do a network install.
>> Now,
>> I don't know the details of making it work, but maybe soemone else on
>> the list does?
>>
>> If both of these alternatives have been considered and rejected, then
>> sorry to interrupt.
>
> Both these solutions seem to assume that
> you are already running an OS on the machine. In my case I had just
> installed a new hard drive, so there was nothing on the disk.

Neither require an OS, just a filesystem.  IIRC the issue is that you have
to have either a CD or a NIC and want to do a network install.  I would:

Boot the CD in rescue mode.  Create a small partition (that will be used
for /boot later).  Copy the install kernel over (initrd.img and vmlinuz
from the isolinux directory).  Create a grub config file to boot the
kernel and install grub to the HD.  Reboot and it will ask what kind of
install you want.

The only difference between doing this and installing another OS first is
that you have to manually setup the partition and grub.

--
William Hooper