2 users on one FC3 system?

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Jan 24 16:04:51 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 09:38, Analog Kid wrote:

>    My friend and I are planning to invest on a high-performance Dell
> Dimension 4700 with all the "max" specs (costs about $ 2500) for
> running a highly memory and processor intensive design software on
> FC3.
>
>    Is it possible for the two of us to work on the same system (i.e.
> CPU) simultaneously under different user logins? We do have 2
> monitors, 2 keyboards and 2 mouses. What is the best way to accomplish
> this task so that we both can share the available computing power
> simultaneously? Do we have to build a mini-LAN? In that case would we
> need another CPU?

There's an easy way and a hard way.  The easy way is to add another
minimal CPU for the the 2nd user and a LAN connection.  Then you
can use any number of ways to make this box run as an Xterminal
that logs into the main CPU and runs all programs from there.
One of those ways is to network-boot the 2nd box so you don't
need to install anything there.  You can add the ltsp package
to fedora, or install the k12ltsp distribution which already
has it integrated.

The hard way is to add a 2nd video card to the main box and figure
out how to configure X to give it and the 2nd keyboard a separate
session.  I've seen articles showing how to do it but I don't remember
where.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com