[installation]dual boot with Mandrake for test

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Jan 24 16:35:08 UTC 2005

Moyne Daniel wrote:
> Le Lundi 24 Janvier 2005 13:40, Paul Howarth a écrit :
>
>>>- can I select either mandrake or fedora distribution at boot : possibly
>>>with lilo bootloader,
>>
>>When the FC3 installer asks you to select where to install the
>>bootloader, tell it to install grub in the partition you're installing
>>FC3 to (rather than the MBR). Your computer will boot only into Mandrake
>>at this point but you should be able to configure your existing Mandrake
>>bootloader, whether it be LILO or grub, to boot Fedora too. Simply
>>chain-load the grub loader from the Fedora partition, just the same as
>>how you would boot Windows if it was installed in the Fedora partition.
>
> Paul, can I use also lilo rather than grub on the FC3 partition that I know
> better ?

Yes, you can use LILO if you prefer (I believe so anyway; I use grub
myself). However, given that you are trying out a new distribution, why
not also try out a new bootloader? It need not be installed on the MBR
as I mentioned earlier, so you could just use it to load FC3 and see
what you think of it.

> Now, Paul I do not know what is you feeling regarding the comparison of
> Mandrake and Fedora ;

I can't offer any opinion there as I have never used Mandrake.

> you see I have bee using Mandrake since the very
> begining of my Linux experience ; now I would like to try another
> distribution ; I was thinking of Debian but apparently Fedora is a new comer
> on the market that can attract me ; my opinion is that besides stability what
> matter the most with the distribution is the capability to update safely your
> present system ; I mean here to be able to load and test something new , then
> to decide to keep it or not ; Debian can do that ; Mandrake cannot : if you
> load something that does not work to go back to previous stable version of
> you setup might be troublesome !

I can understand this. Fedora, like Mandrake, is RPM-based, so if you do
make an update that you don't like, it is usually possible to replace
the updated package with an older RPM if you are familiar with using the
rpm command.

Paul.