Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mon Jan 24 16:57:30 UTC 2005

James Mckenzie wrote:

>>Note that I am not asking for Disk Druid to be removed.
>>I am simply asking for fdisk to be restored as a choice
>>(with the warning that it is only for experts, if you like).
>
> This will not stop the ID10Ts from trying to set up their 'better'
> solutions.  However, for those of us that know better a special keystroke
> would be much better.

I find your constant reference to "idiots" unpleasant.
I think anyone who wants to install Linux (or Windows, for that matter)
deserves to be treated with respect.
By all means warn people that they should not do something
unless they are aware of the dangers;
but you should do them the courtesy of assuming
that they have understood what you said.

> For the ID10Ts out there, DD is a workable solution.  For those of us that
> know what we are doing and are willing ot accept the results if we mess
> up. FDISK should be there for us.  However, we have to figure out a method
> that keeps the ID10Ts from making our lives miserable.  And, yes, some of
> those folks live in the higher levels of management.

I just disagree with your whole approach.
The implication that you are a person of superior intelligence
who knows what is good for other people
I find unattractive.

Personally, I have never met anyone who got into trouble by using fdisk,
but I am perfectly willing to believe that they exist.
However, you should assume that you are talking to someone
of equal intelligence to yourself,
and that if you warn them of the dangers that is quite sufficient.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366