KDM instead of GDM on FC3

Paul Almquist paul at almquist.name
Mon Jan 24 18:44:07 UTC 2005

On Saturday 22 January 2005 12:20, Mark Eggers wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 20:36 -0700, Pete Choppin wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 22:32 -0500, Steven Pasternak wrote:
> > > How do you tell FC3 to use KDM instead of GDM? I remember having to
> > > edit some file in /etc/sysconfig on FC2, but don't remember which one
> > > or what to edit.
>
> As has already been mentioned, you need to edit /etc/X11/prefdm and add
>
> DISPLAYMANAGER=KDE
>
> to the top of the file, or change the order of the window manager in
> that file in order to run KDM.
>
> Once that is done, you can use switchdesk to change the presentation.

As a general practice avoid altering distribution supplied scripts as they may
be replaced when updates are applied.  You then have to make your changes
over again.

In prefdm, the variable DISPLAYMANAGER is expected in the file
/etc/sysconfig/desktop and is sourced (the "." command or its bash alias
"source" may be used) as you see in this code snippet from prefdm.
if [ -f /etc/sysconfig/desktop ]; then
        . /etc/sysconfig/desktop
        if [ "$DISPLAYMANAGER" = GNOME ]; then
                preferred=gdm
        elif [ "$DISPLAYMANAGER" = KDE ]; then
                preferred=kdm
        elif [ "$DISPLAYMANAGER" = XDM ]; then
                preferred=xdm
        fi
fi

The DISPLAYMANAGER variable does not exist by default.  Edit this file and
place your DISPLAYMANAGER=KDE line in it.  No spaces on either side of the =
sign.

paul

--
Paul Almquist