total NFS newbie needs help

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Jan 24 23:38:23 UTC 2005

On Monday 24 January 2005 15:22, Jeff Vian wrote:
>On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 11:05 -0500, David Liguori wrote:
>> Gene Heskett wrote:
>> > Greetings;
>> >
>> > I have a dir on this machine that contains all 9 of the FC3 iso
>> > images, and I've setup a server: line in my fstab, and setup
>> > the /etc/exports file to export that dir to any address in the
>> > 192.168.xx.xx block
>> >
>> > I *think* I have the exports for nfs setup correctly.
>
>The exports file on the server needs to be set up similar to mine
> below. [root at bluebird root]# cat /etc/exports
>/archive                goliath(rw,no_root_squash)
>/opt                    goliath(rw,no_root_squash)

And goliath is I assume, an alias that points to the FQDN of the
machine that wants to import it?

What about the path, are '-' signs allowed in nfs, or is the a limit
to the depth a directory tree can have in nfs?

> [...]
><dir>  host(options)
>man exports for exact syntax and format required.
>
>after making sure the proper lines are in there, you will need to do
> a restart on the nfs service to reread the exports file.
>    # service nfs restart
>
>> > I've even rebooted.
>> >
>> > On this machine, a showmount -e shows this:
>> > [root at coyote root]# showmount -e
>> > [root at coyote etc]# showmount -e
>> > Export list for coyote.coyote.den:
>> > /usr/dlds-misc/FC3 192.168.71.0/255.255.255.0
>> >
>> > And on another box as client for machine coyote:
>> > [root at gene root]# showmount -e coyote
>> > Export list for coyote:
>> > /usr/dlds-misc/FC3 192.168.71.0/255.255.255.0
>> >
>> > But I cannot connect with the NFS choice on the machine I'm
>> > trying to install FC3 on.  And at the point in the install,
>> > there is no other shell available, so all I can see is the
>> > cannot connect messages once I've filled in the address of this
>> > box and the path on this box to those iso's.  So at this point I
>> > have no idea if the network driver the installer has loaded is
>> > wrong or what.  However, the box is sitting down there with the
>> > error message on screen, and I can ping it just fine:
>> >
>> > PING shop.coyote.den (192.168.71.4) 56(84) bytes of data.
>> > 64 bytes from shop.coyote.den (192.168.71.4): icmp_seq=0 ttl=64
>> > time=0.330 ms
>> > 64 bytes from shop.coyote.den (192.168.71.4): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64
>> > time=0.103 ms
>> > 64 bytes from shop.coyote.den (192.168.71.4): icmp_seq=2 ttl=64
>> > time=0.097 ms
>> > 64 bytes from shop.coyote.den (192.168.71.4): icmp_seq=3 ttl=64
>> > time=0.100 ms
>> > 64 bytes from shop.coyote.den (192.168.71.4): icmp_seq=4 ttl=64
>> > time=0.097 ms
>> >
>> > telnet and ssh both are refused.
>> >
>> > Does anyone have a clue to loan me?
>
>The ping shows the network is working.
>telnet and ssh will not be allowed until the OS is installed
>
>> How do you start the NFS daemon on the server?  Usually it's
>> through xinetd, or at least it used to be.  There are hosts.allow
>> and hosts.deny files that are shipped closed down by default
>> (usually "all all" is in deny, then only those hosts and services
>> you want to allow are in "allow", which overrides the deny).
>> Also, you need portmapper running--unless things have totally
>> changed since I last set up an NFS server, a few RH releases ago.
>> I can say that, in general, things that are potential security
>> risks that don't need to be running for basic functionality won't
>> be, by default (eg. telnet, ftp, ssh, nfs.  Does it accept telnet
>> or ssh connections from other machines?)--contrary to the
>> traditional Microsoft policy.  Your best bet, therefore, is to
>> consult a step by step tutorial, like the one alluded to by
>> another responder.  You can then be reasonably sure of opening up
>> all those things, and only those things, that need to be to get
>> the desired result.
>
>I run nfs standalone. That is the default for FC3.

Standalone?  Define that as opposed to useing the script
in /etc/init.d, please?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)