Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Tue Jan 25 01:47:36 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 19:11 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 24 January 2005 18:50, Jeff Vian wrote:

> >> Very well said, Jeff.  And to illustrate a similar problem, I've
> >> made 5 (unsuccessfull) passes at installing BDI-Live-RC46 again
> >> today, on a seperate hard drive in this same machine, which uses
> >> cfdisk as its partitioning tool.  Its a little bit better than DD
> >> in my opinion, but its still flakey.  In 5 installs, only one run
> >> would allow me to set /dev/hda1 as the /boot partition, the other
> >> 4 refused to show me anything in the primary partition camp,
> >> starting at /dev/hda5 in its pulldown choices.  It looks as if one
> >> could type his answer into the box as the cursor can be placed
> >> there, but if focused on the text bos, it appears the keyboard is
> >> disabled.  At any rate, going after it with your favorite bug
> >> swatter would seem to be a pretty good idea, particularly if it
> >> can be made a bit more intuitive to run.
> >>
> >> The lack of success is the installer script is not apparently
> >> setting its paths correctly, so when it comes time to setup the
> >> root and user, all of those useradd/groupadd/chpasswd etc tools
> >> aren't being found, so the passwd and group files are not being
> >> updated.  So on the reboot to actually run it, no passwords are
> >> recognized and you are locked out from logging in forever.  And it
> >> seems rather self-explanatory that you cannot get a great amount
> >> of work out of a machine you cannot run.
> >
> >Although I support you on the request for fdisk to be back in the
> >installer as an option, the rest of your problems has me stumped.
> >
> >I have never had the sort of problem you report with any hardware
> >combination I have used.  That leads me to believe you may have
> >something that is actually hardware related that pops up its ugly
> > head during the install and hides otherwise.
> >
> >Some of the items you have related seem possibly power, memory or MB
> >related.
> >
> >1. Have you run memtest86 on this machine - deepest and most extreme
> >test it has - for at least 24 hours?
>
> yes, flawless in 36 hours

OK

> >2. Have you done an identical install on different hardware?  Just
> > to rule out the intermittent or conditional hardware issue?
>
> no
>
> the only unusual item in that box is a pci card that thinks its an isa
> card.

And there is _not_ something wrong with that?
Try a different card or remove it entirely to see if there are any
differences.
Try different hardware.  You are the only one I have seen on this list
that has your type problems, and it seems it is only the one machine.
Just maybe it is _not_ the software.

> new antec 430 watt psu a month ago.

OK

> >Hope this gives you some things to try and consider.
> >Jeff

>From personal experience I can say that even the least likely things are
suspect until ruled out.

I had one machine that had one hard drive on the primary controller and
one cdrom on the secondary controller.  Intermittently I would get
errors logged on the hard drive.
Replaced the hard drive and symptoms continued, swapped  controllers and
the errors followed the hard drive. Swapped cables with no change.
Finally, on a whim I replaced the cdrom.  Problems went away.  No
problem had ever been logged on the CDROM, and it was on a different
controller.

Moral of the story is:  dig deeper.
One of your complaints was memory, one was lack of space, one was
problems at the time of swapping install CDs, others I don't remember.

That is why I suggested hardware.  Problems are not reproducible.  You
seem to have been unable to point to a specific failure point or time
that is consistent. A PCI card that identifies itself as ISA seems
strange, but it may be anything on or in the motherboard since the
symptom moves and it seems certain conditions trigger it but others
don't.