Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Tue Jan 25 02:55:36 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 20:30 -0500, William Hooper wrote:
> Jeff Vian said:
> [snip]
> >> So by your own reasoning, we need
> >> to remove DD complete and just put a dialog that asks where to put / and
> >>  put everything there.  That's it.
> >>

> > That is EXACTLY what _was_ done by putting in the autopartition option.
> > and the opposite is what I feel would be better.
>
> Autopartition option... not requirement.

agreed

> > BTW William,
> > Much earlier in this thread you asked me a question about DD and its
> > partitioning related to what it did for me. I recently did a new install
> > and checked carefully the results.
> >
> > 1.  DD chose the order to place the partitions.  That was NOT the order
> > they were defined in.  I created / as the second partition, but DD chose to
> > make it hda5 on its own.  It displayed the order in the gui bar
> > dynamically as they were defined (in its own order, but with sizes as
> > specified)
> [snip]
>
> Which is as I observed.  The comment I was responding to said that DD
> changed somewhere between what the GUI says and what was written to the
> disk.  I'm still waiting for a repeatable case of that, BTW.

In my case, I said DD changed from what I specified to what it wrote.

I do not recall in the last use of DD (much more than a year ago with
RH9) how the gui and the list related to the order I defined them in.  I
know it was not what I expected and thus IMNSHO at that time it was
broke and I began using fdisk exclusively.

> > This type of (at least somewhat uncontrollable) AI is what I see as a
> > problem.  Even Partition Magic on Windows respects the order in which
> > partitions are defined and positions them accordingly.  DD does not.
>
> For the vast majority of people it doesn't make a lot of difference.
> Framing the installer around special cases is the path to insanity.
>
> [snip]
> > Why not 2 major paths in the installer?  one for the Expert and one for
> > the new user.
> [snip]
>
> We've been there and done that and got the T-shirt.  All it leads to is
> going around in circles until someone finally mentions "Oh, and I hit that
> thing that said expert at the beginning".

Now you see the problem that hits ALL tech support staff.
__Communication__.

However, that still does not justify making it more difficult for those
who _do_ have a clue.

> IMHO the fdisk situation is the perfect way to fix it.  People that care
> that strongly can get to it, the other 90% who don't give a damn can go
> through the install.  Of all the threads on this list, how many of them
> are about partitioning during the install (other than "how big should I
> make /var" and the like)?  I really believe this is a mole hill, not a
> mountain.

For partitioning you are likely right. (Yes, I do tech support so I also
have been there and got the T-shirt.) Once I understand what is
happening the unexpected is not so unexpected nor unmanageable.