html format question/ OOo

Marc M linuxr at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 03:21:06 UTC 2005

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 00:16:08 +0000, James Wilkinson
<james at westexe.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Marc M wrote:
> > I have what is probably a silly question for a lot of you.  Whenever I
> > cut and paste text from Open office's Writer application to an online
> > form box (such as 'paste your resume here'), I get a mixture of upper
> > and lowercase characters on the html form.  Example:
> >
> > ThE HTMl pasTED informATion lOOks LIKE THIs.
> >
> > 1)  Is there something that I did wrong when creating the original
> > document, that mis-formats these characters when converting to html?
> > I am under the impression that OOo is wysiwyg; however I make
> > allowance that maybe there is a feature that I have missed ?
> >
> > 2)  I would consider that if anyone has a line or two of code that
> > would fix the document globally then maybe I could put that (in white
> > or clear font) into the Writer doc.  But then again this would show up
> > loud and clear when pasted, so I am not sure how much good that would
> > do?
>
> You're assuming that it's something you've done. I very much doubt that:
> it looks like a bug. There's a number of things that Would Be Useful To
> Know, though:
>
>  * Which program has the "HTML form"? Do you see the same problems
>    across Mozilla, Firefox and Konqueror?
>  * Which version of Fedora?
>  * Are you up to date on fixes?
>  * Which version and release of the applications? (Use
>    rpm -qi openoffice.org, for example)
>  * Do you get the same problem from other parts of Open Office? Other
>    programs? Pasting into anything else?
>  * Do you get the same problem if you create a new user and log in as
>    them?
>
> Sorry, that's quite a checklist. But it's going to be asked...
>
> If the bug hasn't been fixed, then it should probably go in Bugzilla.
> But it will help them if you can gather this information first.
>
> James.
> --
> James Wilkinson       | Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?
> Exeter    Devon    UK |
> E-mail address: james |
> @westexe.demon.co.uk  |

James, Thanks for the reply across the pond.  Here's some additonal info:

1.  Which program has the "HTML form"? Do you see the same problems
  across Mozilla, Firefox and Konqueror?

The problem is in websites, that I have copied from OOo's Writer
application and pasted the text into the forms.  I know for a fact
that .asp, but maybe other types as well (I will test).  Definitely
multiple websites so I am thinking also .cfm pages maybe as well as
.asp sites.    Mozilla Firefox is the only browser I use right now.

2.  Which version of Fedora?  FC3

3. Are you up to date on fixes?   Yes I think so, I run yum update
every day or so

4  Which version and release of the applications? (Use
  rpm -qi openoffice.org, for example)

Open office version : 1.1.2  Release     : 11.5.fc3

Mozilla Firefox Version 1.0

These are the only two applications involved.

5. Do you get the same problem from other parts of Open Office? Other
  programs? Pasting into anything else?

Not so far but I haven't seen the need to do much experimenting.  I
can say that it ALWAYS happens, when I paste FROM a writer .doc file
(my resume), INTO an online form text box of some sort.  Mind you,
some of them don't have this problem, but when I do it is always
there.  (Weirder still, I should add that the .doc file was done in
OOo and so every bit of the document is Microsoft free.  That is, it
hasn't been created by or even <opened> by Word and God knows what
done with macros and other random bits of code beneath the surface.)

6. Do you get the same problem if you create a new user and log in as
  them?

Sounds like a long shot to me.  I will try it just for the heck of it.
 It is worth a shot.  I don't know what kind of global variable can
control code within Mozilla, but then again we live in a strange
world.  :)   This isn't a huge deal, I am just really interested in
knowing why this is happening.

Cheers
Marc