pretty up2date vs reliable yum?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Jan 25 20:00:48 UTC 2005

Matt Morgan wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:10:51 -0800, Tim Alberts <talberts at msiscales.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>
>>I try to stick with up2date because I want the nice GUI tools, something
>>Linux is trying (or should be trying) to brag about.  However, I get
>>up2date to completely download and install updates maybe one out of a
>>dozen times (broad band connection).
>>
>>I've been on this list before and noted that most of the 'experts'
>>always answer questions about updates with 'just use yum'...Note, this
>>is my impression, I may be wrong.  Also note I define 'experts' as the
>>folks on this list whom always seem to have an answer for every
>>question.
>>
>>If yum is so much better that the experts just go to it, why is up2date
>>the program on the start bar?  Why isn't yum given the nice icon on the
>>start bar by default?
>

> Lots of other good answers to this already; but here's one that I
> haven't seen. Updating is something you should never have to worry
> about yourself, so a GUI shouldn't be necessary. Clearly you may want
> it for special installs, but for literal updates, why be bothered at
> all?
>
> Indeed, once yum is set up correctly (which is quick and easy), it's
> very automatic. In fact, in a default FC install, cron will be set up
> automatically to run yum updates nightly, and anacron will take over
> on computers that aren't powered on all the time. So the GUI is just
> not something I ever have to worry about in this case (although in
> general I am a GUI kind of guy).
>
> On my desktop at work all I did for automatic yum updates,
> post-install, was follow the instructions at
>
> http://www.fedorafaq.org/#installsoftware
>
> and I was done with updating by hand, forever. At home, I made one
> other change, since that computer is only on for about an hour a day,
> and that was to edit /etc/anacrontab to cut the delays to 5, 15, and
> 25 minutes from 65 and up.
>
> I do not consider myself an expert, but with yum I can play one on TV!
>
> --Matt

One nice thing about a GUI for Yum is if you are searching for or
looking for some applications or games for that matter.

Using yumi I have been able to do a search for games and then from the
search result, select which games I want to install.  It provides more
tools than just update.   I have actually removed up2date from my
systems as it is more of a pain now.  One package corrupted the python
script.  I am not sure what did it.

--
Robin Laing