First steps to configure ADSL connection

Paul F. Almquist paul at almquist.name
Tue Jan 25 20:54:13 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 17:08 -0300, Leandro Melo wrote:
> Hi, would anyone tell me a reference or some tutorial (or how to)
> about installing and configure an adsl home connection?
> I`m a beginner here...
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Leandro

I recently installed DSL service at home.  When I ordered it I was given
2 OS choices - Mac or Win.  I choose Mac as I actually have one (an old
G3 with OS X 10.2 but no windows box) but mostly use Linux. I also chose
the self-install option.  They (SBC-yahoo) sent me a box with the DSL
modem and several line filters and a couple of cables.  Plug one filter
into each phone jack and plug phone into the phone port on the filter.
Plug the cat 5 cable supplied in the box into the DSL port on the DSL
modem and the other end into the DSL port on the filter by the DSL
modem.  The DSL modem also has an Ethernet port.  Another cat 5 cable
connects that to the NIC in my Linux box.  The DSL modem I was sent is a
SpeedStream 5100, an external device.  It does NAT and DHCP.  It also
has an embedded web server.  Configure the Linux box NIC for DHCP and
activate the interface (ifup eth0  or  service network restart).  Point
a web browser at the DSL modem at the ip address in the docs
(192.168.0.1 in my case.)  Follow the instructions on the web page.

I also received a CD with software to run on the Mac that was used to
set up some service preferences and an email account.  I do not know if
I could have gotten along without doing this step.  I initially
connected the DSL modem to the G3 to do that setup.  After the setup was
done then I moved the cable to the Linux box.

I have added a 5 port D-Link wired router to my network with the WAN
port on that connected to the DSL modem and the Linux workstations also
connect to the router.  The default gateway address on the Linux boxes
is the router (192.168.0.1)  The ip address for the name server is also
192.168.0.1. (I'm not sure just how that works but it does. One thing
that I learned after 40 years in computing is that I do not have to
understand how all of it works to use it.  It's nice to know but not
essential. Anyway, about the time I start to feel that I understand
something well it changes or is replaced.  But Linux is still fun!)

I suspect that other issues may be involved with other types of DSL
hardware.

paul

paul at almquist.name
Eau Claire, WI UA