Website using port 85

Steve Brown sbrown at valueline.com
Tue Jan 25 21:58:02 UTC 2005

After learning here on the list that my ISP, Optimum Online, blocks
residential customers from running web servers using port 80, I set up
httpd.conf and my firewall to run my site using port 85.  It works
fine.  Next, I registered a domain with my daughter's name: miabrown.com
through 1and1.com.  I set up the account so that requests for
miabrown.com are forwarded to my server (dynamic IP address, port 85).

Apparently, at work, they block sites that use a port number other than
80.  In my brower at work, I see the IP address.  What do I need to do
on my server so that it shows the domain name instead of the IP address?

--
Steven J. Brown
Value Line, Inc.
sbrown at valueline.com
ny:win2000:mozilla
Get Firefox! <http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=0&t=70>

This transmission contains information intended to be confidential and solely for the use of Value Line, Inc., and those persons or entities to whom it is directed. It is not to be reproduced, retransmitted, or in any other manner distributed. If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender.