2 users on one FC3 system?

Dale Sykora dalen at czexan.net
Tue Jan 25 22:51:24 UTC 2005

Jeff Vian wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 20:24 -0800, Nifty Hat Mitch wrote:
>
>>On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 10:38:42AM -0500, Analog Kid wrote:
>>
>>>   Is it possible for the two of us to work on the same system (i.e.
>>>CPU) simultaneously under different user logins? We do have 2
>>>monitors, 2 keyboards and 2 mouses. What is the best way to accomplish
>>>this task so that we both can share the available computing power
>>>simultaneously? Do we have to build a mini-LAN? In that case would we
>>>need another CPU?
>>>
>>>   Any inputs will be appreciated.
>>
>>Two display cards (monitors), two keyboards, two mice two seats
>>is not easy to get working.  I have never seen it done satisfactorly...
>>little stuff like audio will bother you.
>>
>>You will find that it is easier to take advantage of X windows and or
>>NFS from a modest machine to your bigger box.  A point to point mini
>>LAN with no DNS can be quick.
>>
>>You will not have two AGP slots, a second GFX card on PCI would be
>>very SLOW so even if you got it working one seat will be lesser
>>than the first.
>>
>>Others have commented on potential issues with software licensing.
>>

> What!!
>
> F/OSS does not limit licensing as does that other os.
> Linux is multi-user and AFAIK all software installed that is not
> proprietary and otherwise restricted can be used by multiple users
> freely.
>
> I think licensing is not an issue in getting things working, and even if
> it is of concern later that is after the first hurdle is crossed.

Jeff,
	The original post mentioned design software.  He did not mention
whether it was proprietary or FOSS, but design software is a niche
market that generally has a larger percentage of proprietary software
than FOSS.  GEDA is would be a FOSS example but Mentor/Cadence/other
company have most of the market and they generally have restrictive
licensing.  It seems that licensing considerations do need to be
considered before purchasing hardware/software to verify the economic
feasability.

Thanks,

Dale