Installation of Tar and development tree rpm packages

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Wed Jan 26 00:08:34 UTC 2005

dan wrote:

> Craig White wrote:
>
>> Top posting moved to bottom for clarity

>>> one important question. why do you want to upgrade. if the  newer
>>> version of tar has an important feature that you want then you might
>>> want to suggest this as an RFE against tar in bugzilla.redhat.com.
>>>
>>> if you want to upgrade, one way to do it is to check if the
>>> development tree has a newer version and install that. post the
>>> results
>>

>> ----
>>
>>> Thx to Erik Olsen and all respondents to his question about
>>> installation of updates application packages currently available
>>> only in tar format.  Very informative and useful.
>>>
>>> Rahul Sundaram's response (shown below) raised additonal questions I
>>> hope some on the list will address.
>>>
>>> As I currently understand fedora processes and structure,
>>> development tree are primarily (solely?) oriented toward the latest
>>> official core release (FC3) and the forthcoming official core
>>> release (FC4).  Are some  development tree packages directly useable
>>> on up-to-date FC2 and/or FC1 systems as well?
>>

>> ---
>> sometimes yes, sometimes no. Sometimes, you only need the source-rpm and
>> rebuild it on your system.
>> ---
>

> Take a look at the Fedora Legacy Project.  I maintain a number of FC1
> systems, and quite honestly, I just don't want to take them to FC2,
> FC3, or otherwise.  www.fedoralegacy.org for more information.
>
> Thanks
> -dant

Thanks, Dant.  I have taken a preliminary look at the Legacy Project
since it is clear that FC2 (my current installation) will likely move to
legacy status before the end of the year.  FC1 may very well meet all of
my needs, but the question I would have about switching to FC1 is how
long will that version be maintained/supported by the legacy project?