gui dvd ripper

micheal sundance at sundanceloki.com
Wed Jan 26 04:25:28 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 15:01 -0600, Gain Paolo Mureddu wrote:
> micheal wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 13:33 -0600, Gain Paolo Mureddu wrote:
> >
> > I have been using dvd::rip for some time, and never had any trouble
> > transcoding to avi. Did Star Wars Episode 2 that way.  Just make sure
> > that you have the proper codecs for the transcode step selected.
> >

> That what I meant by:
> > I can confirm that... Making .avi files may be trickier (I think you
> > require a program that doesn't get installed by default?)
> You need the proper codec... BTW what is it?

Good Question, dvd::rip from dag requires transcode, which I think
requires several codec libraries. After all, what good is transcode
without some format to convert too. I am not entirely sure, however,
since I installed all of the codecs before dvd::rip.

In case I am wrong, and you have to download seperate pachages. The
packages that I use are divx4linux (dag) and xvidcore (also from dag).

With these installed the options to code into divx or xvid into an avi
container are available. I am sure using yum/smart/apt you could find
tons of codecs, but these are what I use.

HTH

Micheal