EMERGENCY - mounting an LVM

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Wed Jan 26 10:09:41 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 12:14, Joe Borne wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have a problem with my FC3 system. I hadn't rebooted in several
> months, so I did so this morning. The system stopped at "GRUB". I put
> in the Rescue CD, but it doesn't seem to like my LVM and won't mount
> it.
>
> I can mount my /boot partition at /dev/hda, but that's it. I have a
> feeling my /etc/fstab is messed up and may be telling the rescue cd
> that the LVM is just an ext3 at /dev/hda2.
>
> (I had several fstab's for several systems in the etc, I think I left
> the wrong one named "fstab" instead of "fstab.sysname").
>
> Can anyone tell me how to mount this LVM so I can fix the fstab and
> GRUB? I really don't want to lose all of my data..

Tell me how you are booting it. but while you do that, let me tell you
how I did it.

1. Gentoo LiveCD
2. Boot into it
3. Modprobe dm-mod
4. vgscan
5. vgchange -ay
6. Mount it. I hope you either e2label'ed it or you know which partition
is which. otherwise, Happy Guessing!! :)

--
Ow Mun Heng
Gentoo/Linux on DELL D600 1.4Ghz