clone a disk by dd, but OS still remember its old size

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Jan 26 14:28:09 UTC 2005

patrick at fany.info wrote:
> I try to duplicate my xp and FC3 to a larger disk, I try
>
> 0) use fdisk to partition new disk(hdb)
> 1) dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/hdb1 bs=32256 (for XP)
> 2) dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/dev/hdb2 bs=32256 (for /boot)
> 3) dd if=/dev/hda3 of=/dev/hdb3 bs=32256 (for LVM, and / is included)
>
> I reinstall grub after everything is finished. Everything works properly, except...
>
> "from the df and windows explorer, I found both OS still remember their
> old partition's size".  I think partition resize tool like QTparted can help me, but
> it also tells me the partition table is correct, I can do nothing about it.
>
> What can I do on XP to make it aware the new space?

There are two aspects to a partition size. Firstly, the size of the
partition as specified in the disk's partition table. In your case, I
think you have made /dev/hdb1 bigger than /dev/hda1 etc.

The other aspect is the filesystem size. The filesystem is written to
the partition when you "format" (Windows) or mkfs (linux) it. Since you
have copied the entire partitions using dd, you will have also copied
the filesystem metadata, which will be for a filesystem of the original
partition's size. You can use the "resize2fs" command to change the
filesystem size to match the partition size. I've no idea how to do this
for your XP partition or your LVM physical volume though.

Paul.