Static Routes via DHCP - How to do?

David Hoffman dhoffman2004 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 14:55:39 UTC 2005

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 15:48:12 +0100, Roger Grosswiler <roger at gwch.net> wrote:
> Paul Howarth wrote:
> the adress of the (wished static) router is 10.0.0.3, the default route
> is 10.0.0.2 and no, they cannot be reached by the default gateway, as i
> separated them completely (2 different firewalls, no connection in between)

OK, so put it this way... how many NIC cards are in the client machines?

IF there is only one NIC, and IF the IP address of the client is on
the 10.0.0.0/8 network, then the only way to get traffic to another
network is by going through a gateway. If you set 10.0.0.3 as your
gateway, then the router at 10.0.0.3 is responsible for routing the
traffic to the 192.168.x.x addresses.

If the 192.168.x.x addresses are not reachable from the gateway
machine, then I don't know of any other way to do it... basically...
you can't get there from here.