Static Routes via DHCP - How to do?

Roger Grosswiler roger at gwch.net
Wed Jan 26 15:05:47 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote:
> Roger Grosswiler wrote:
>
>> Paul Howarth wrote:

>>> What is the address of the router to use to reach each of the
>>> additional networks? Can these networks not be reached via the
>>> default route from 10.0.0.0/8 anyway?
>>>
>>> Paul.
>>>
>> the adress of the (wished static) router is 10.0.0.3, the default
>> route is 10.0.0.2 and no, they cannot be reached by the default
>> gateway, as i separated them completely (2 different firewalls, no
>> connection in between)
>

> You'd probably want this then:
>
> option static-route 192.168.1.0 10.0.0.3,
>             192.168.2.0 10.0.0.3,
>             192.168.3.0 10.0.0.3;
>
> However, it probably won't work; if you look at
> http://www.gsp.com/cgi-bin/man.cgi?section=5&topic=dhcp-options it says:
>
>   Also, please note that this option is not intended for classless IP
>   routing - it does not include a subnet mask. Since classless IP
>   routing is now the most widely deployed routing standard, this option
>   is virtually useless, and is not implemented by any of the popular
>   DHCP clients, for example the Microsoft DHCP client.
>
> Paul.

Thanks Paul,

thats exactly what i tried before, but it even did not work on fedora
core. This will mean, i have to make some kind of hack the get the
routing fixed in the routing table. I'm gonna write a very little
shell-script and let it execute on boot-up. I think, on windoze i can
indicate them also as fixed route per client. :-( It would have been
luxury...

Roger