Should I wait for Fedora Core 4?

dan info at hostinthebox.net
Wed Jan 26 19:39:59 UTC 2005

Bill Case wrote:
> Hi dant;
>
> Trying to avoid old problem re-hash but ...
>

>>Bill Case wrote:
>>
>>>Hi;
>>>
>>>The Fedora site predicts that the Core 4 release will be available
>>
>>mid
>>
>>>May.  I am waiting for a couple of updates or fixes that I
>>
>>particularly
>>
>>>want i.e. Yelp 2.9/2.10 and a Xemacs, Emacs modifier key bug fix.
>>>
>>>Should I wait for Core 4 or should I futz around now trying to get
>>>downloads working in Core 3.  I have only been on Linux for a year
>>
>>but I
>>
>>>am willing to try.
>>>
>>>Regards Bill
>>>

>>What's wrong with your current download situation?
>>
>>Thanks
>>-dant
>

> Xemacs will not recognize my super(win) or my shift key as a modifier
> keys.  After some discussion on this list, a couple of weeks ago, it was
> established that there was a bugzilla report on this problem and a
> Fedora/Xemacs fix was required. I am waiting for that fix.
>
> Yelp has just released version 2.9 - I believe - with access to info and
> man included, but I read that the final fix would be Yelp version 2.10,
> that would be included with Gnome 2.10 which would only be included with
> Fedora Core 4.  Is this not true?
>
> I was trying to ask in short form, if these two things in particular
> would be fixed in Core 4 and/or are they fully fixed now and can I apply
> them to Core 3 without too much difficulty.
>
> Regards Bill

Bill -

have you tried perhaps giving a hand at building your own RPMs?  If
you've never done this before, it can be quite a daunting task - but
definately something to look forward to if these upgrades are what you
really want.  After that, perhaps you can make the packages available to
those who are in the same position as you.

If all else fails, I suppose you'd still ahve the experneice and
knowledge on how to do something like this in the future.  I'm sorry
that I cannot be of more help.

Thanks
-dant