Freeing some partition space...

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Jan 26 21:57:44 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 15:51 -0600, Gustavo Seabra wrote:
> Paul Howarth wrote:
> >Fair enough; if you're a yum user, you may find that a significant space
> >saving can be made in /var by doing a "yum clean packages" periodically
> >(as root of course). I have a cron job to do this.
> >
> How do I set up this cron job? is it just writing a script and dumping
> it in a cron directory, like /etc/cron.weekly ?

All I did was, as root, run "crontab -e"; this pulls up your favourite
editor (probably vi by default) with your current root crontab file, to
which I appended the following line:

0 12 * * * /usr/bin/yum clean packages >/dev/null 2>&1

This runs the command "/usr/bin/yum clean packages" at twelve minutes
past midnight every day and discards any output it generates.

You can run "crontab -l" to list the crontab file for the current user,
and "crontab -e" to edit see. See "man crontab" for details of the
crontab command, and "man 5 crontab" for details of the file format.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>