Tool for searching the file system

dan info at hostinthebox.net
Wed Jan 26 22:37:46 UTC 2005

Richard E Miles wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:39:42 -0500 (EST)
>
> Leandro Melo wrote:
>

>>What's the default tool to search the file system in fedora?
>

> locate.
>
> -- DESCRIPTION
>           Secure Locate provides a secure way to index and quickly search for
>        files  on  your  system.  It  uses  incremental encoding just like GNU
>        locate to compress its database to make searching faster, but it  will
>        also  store  file permissions and ownership so that users will not see
>        files they do not have access to.
> ie: locate <search string>
>
> Richard E Miles
> Federal Way WA. USA
> registered linux user 46097

Take note, however, that 'locate' won't have correct results unless the
file locate database is updated using 'updatedb' (or on some systems,
even FreeBSD, it is /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb).

If I want to find something where I know it exists inside a specific
directory tree, I'd use 'find'.  If I had no clue where the file lived,
I'd run 'updatedb' followed by a 'locate {filename}'

Hope that helps
-dant