FC3 sucks. It takes up too much memory!

Edward Yang neo_in_matrix at fastmail.fm
Thu Jan 27 07:37:35 UTC 2005

Dan Trainor wrote:

> John Wendel wrote:
>
>> Edward Yang wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>

>>> Thanks for replying. Though it's quite off the topic to discuss what
>>> a troll is, but I apparently see many people in Linux community
>>> likes calling someone else *troll*.
>>>

>> THIS IS NOT A TROLL
>>
>> I have to agree with Edward Yang about memory usage, though I can't
>> comment about Windows. I have been using Linux for 5 years and I'm
>> really disturbed by the memory bloat in the current crop of desktop
>> applications.
>>
>> I've got one box that has 128 MB of memory. I normally use it for
>> application testing and it has a minimal FC3 install, no Gnome, no
>> KDE, and I almost always run without X. This morning I wanted to
>> install "system-config-httpd" so I entered "yum whatprovides
>> system-config-httpd\*" and walked away. When I came back in 15
>> minutes the box was having a major swap shit storm. Logging in on
>> another VT took several minutes and running free showed all the
>> memory used along with 200MB of swap and growing. At this point, I
>> killed the yum process and the box recovered.
>>
>> I then went and ran the yum command on my 512 MB box and watched free
>> memory while it was running. It worked this time, but it did exhaust
>> all the memory in the box and use a load of swap space.
>>
>> I know that unused memory is wasted memory but really folks, test
>> your apps on low memory machines! Swapping sucks. I won't even start
>> to comment on the current crop of bloated pig mail readers, browsers
>> and office suites.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> John
>>

> Thanks, John, for providing some constructive feedback to Mr. Yang's
> "problem".  I don't know if the "problem" was due to user or system
> error.  Either way, I'm sure most of us here don't really care.
>
> Regardless, think that is what he was looking for.
>
> I often contribute to this list to try to help people get around some
> of the hurdles that they're having, regardless of how small.  However,
> I do take offense to how Mr. Yang states that FC3 is the guilty
> party.  I know that he says he came from a vast Windows background,
> and with that being said, he should know better than anyone that you
> can not ever expect the best performance out of a product vanilla and
> "out of the box".
>
> My suggestion to you, Mr. Yang, is to go do your homework, and stop
> with the "You're an idiot" - "No, you're an idiot!" idle bickering.
> The list gets enough traffic already, and could surely do without the
> bickering.

Okay, someone starts calling me a *troll* (not directly though, but
every normal man with normal brain can infer that). Should I remain
silent? What will you do if you were I in this case?

> The few who have not already ignored every message that you have, may,
> or will be sending, are here to support you, and if need be, hold your
> hand throughout the whole process.  I, for some reason, remain one of
> these few, but I think that I put it well said for others and myself
> when I tell you that I will refuse to offer any assistance to you if
> your netiquette does not improve.

Okay, I have a bad temper. My colleguges all agree with this conclusion,
but they also agree I am kind person too. I often get flamed about
garbage software. This is a thing I cannot help.

> So which areas of your setup are you wanting to improve?  Memory
> consumption?  Where would you like to start?

Please read my question. The most thing I want to know is how to stop
eggcups from respawning, which I have found answer by gooling (though it
took me about 30 minutes). And I want to know why it takes so *much*
memory. It shouldn't have to as I have expected.

> Have a good evening
> -Dan Trainor

Thanks for replying. If my bad temper or netiquette does not sound good
to you, please ignore me. Or simply report the the list admin and let
him decide if my posts will be blocked.