Why I think FC3 sucks!

Pasha e97665728 at 013.net
Thu Jan 27 13:21:46 UTC 2005

Edward Yang wrote:

> Pasha wrote:
>
>> Edward Yang wrote:

>>> Can you read???????????????? I said:
>>>
>>> if I set DEL to ASCII DEL
>>

>> First, there is no need to shout.
>> Second, please turn off HTML when you post to this list. In
>> Thunderbird composition window, select Options/Format/Plain Text.
>>
>> If you look more closely, you can see that ASCII DEL is also
>> generated by backspace. For me this means, that if I set Del to the
>> same setting as backspace, it will act the same way as backspace.
>> Also, you may be surprised, but originally ASCII DEL (and delete key)
>> acted as backspace. I don't remember where it was changed, probably
>> in MS-DOS. Anyway, there are a lot of hints telling that you should
>> not touch that setting at all. In any case this is not a bug.
>>
> Okay, I like posting in HTML, which is not forbid by law; it's only
> the usual custom to post in plain text, I choose not to follow it. If
> you can't read it, please ignore me.
>
> ASCII DEL = ASCII 7 and ASCII BS = 8.
>
> Do you mean 7 == 8?

7 is ASCII BEL not DEL. This character produces a bell sound when
printed. ASCII DEL is 8 and is synonim of ASCII BS.

Concerning HTML: If you search this list you'll find plenty of
explanations on why HTML is bad for posting on mailing lists. You will
also find some other rules. The most important, however is a practical
one: HTML postings are ignored (and in some cases automatically deleted)
by many members of the list, especially by those who can actually help
you. So, your chance to receive help in this (and most others) mailing
list is significantly reduced.