Why I think FC3 sucks!

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 27 13:23:43 UTC 2005

Edward Yang wrote:
> I just found out that on FC3 Borland C++Builder takes more than 400mb
> memory! While on Windows, it only takes a little more than 60mb.This is
> making me believe that System Monitor is having a bug about calculating
> memory size...

Please note that on modern operating systems with shared objects and
virtual memory (this includes Windows), the concept of "memory used" is
not easy to define.

It sounds as though you're getting a "total virtual memory used" figure.
This includes physical memory, anything in the swap file, program code,
shared memories, anything memory mapped from disk (e.g. a lot of program
data), and pages that have yet to be used, may never be used, and don't
actually take up any memory anywhere. Windows does not necessarily
include all of this (I don't believe it includes memory mapped files,
for example. This may or may not be the Right Thing To Do).

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | ... including, but not limited to, windstorms, the
Exeter    Devon    UK | Riders of Nazgul, infuriated chickens, peasant