creating a sysv script

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu Jan 27 14:50:16 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 02:34, Craig White wrote:
> Trying to use relaydelay.pl from projects.puremagic.com (greylisting
> milter for sendmail)
>
> End result is a perl file... and I want to invoke it as a daemon -
> detached from any terminal.
>
> it appears that most of the sysv scripts use /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions
> to get a more sophisticated box of tools...
>
> my problem is that my sysv script (called relay) hangs at the point
> where it wants to  initlog -q -c /usr/local/sbin/relaydelay.pl    and
> this obviously comes from the code in /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions. If I
> kill the neverending process...everything is fine and the program is
> launched BUT - it never detaches from the terminal. i.e.

If you are unable to get this problem resolved you may want to check out
milter-greylist.  That was easy to install and has worked very well
providing greylisting capabilities for sendmail.

You may also want to look at its code to see how they get things setup,
could help resolve your problem with the package you are using.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

There are no great men, only great challenges that ordinary men are forced
by circumstances to meet.
		-- Admiral William Halsey