ASUS A7V8X-MX SE Motherboard

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Thu Jan 27 14:53:35 UTC 2005

Anthropos wrote:

>I have installed Fedora Core 3 on the subject motherboard.  During the
>reboot after installation, the sound system is tested.  At this time, I
>heard the right channel, left channel, and both channels at normal volumes
>and, therefore, I clicked 'yes' to the question asking if I had heard the
>sound.
>
>After logging in as 'root', I have to turn the volume to 100% and the PCM to
>100% in the software settings and I have to turn the volume knob on the
>speakers to 100% to hear sound.  What happened?...
>
>The MB has an AD1980 device (AC'97 SoundMax) that is recognized as a VIA
>8235.

Reading through mail in the Sound-list message archives (which I am not
able to access through the search engine for this list) indicate that
sound volume settings are set to zero in Fedora Core releases.
Supposedly those using alsa drivers can save their volume settings
before logging off and have them restored at boot through driver option
entries in modprobe.conf.

That is, the guidance offered is post-install of your sound card include
an option specifying /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
and pre-remove, specify the option /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null
2>&1 || :

Background on alsactl is provided in man(1)

"Supposedly" is used above since I have been trying to do this for
several days without success.