Problems with Intel D915GAG board with 2 GB memory

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Thu Jan 27 16:44:19 UTC 2005

David Jansen wrote:
> I have a problem with a new computer here at work. It has a Intel
> D915GAG mainboard with 2 GB memory on it, and an on-board video card.
> All attempts to install the machine fialed at random moments, sometimes
> anaconda just got stuck, sometimes it lost its network connection (doing
> a nfs-based install) etc.
> Then I removed 1 GB memory, and all went fine.
> Putting back the 2nd 1GB module makes the system very slow, and it
> crashes at some random point during the boot. Usually with a totally
> messed up screen.

 From the specs, it should support up to 4GB (in four 1GB modules, I
guess).  First, check if memory is good.  Boot from CD (or DVD), and on
"boot:" prompt as soon as CD boots, type "memtest86".  It'll run memory
test.  Try it with only the first module, and than only with second
module in the machine.  That way, if all is good with first module, but
with second one test fails, you'll know if it is memory, or motherboard.

Also, check what motherboard reports in BIOS is exactly the specs that
are on your memory.  Make sure memory is not either overclocked nor
underclocked.  Make sure that both modules are of same speed.  Many
motherboards don't work well if you mix modules of different speed (and
many don't work at all).

If memory is good, I'd upgrade the BIOS.  If there is BIOS update
available.  Than as last resort, call Intel support (which is, IMO,
terrible and not generally helpfull).  Tell them you run Windows XP on
the box, or they'll refuse to talk with you.  They'll probably blame all
non-Intel components in the box.  If you have Intel components (such as
PCI cards) labeled as "server" in the box, they'll refuse to talk with
you (because your motherboard is "desktop").  But it is worth a try.

Anyhow, my experience with Intel desktop motherboards isn't that great.
  General quality seems to be way bellow that of other manufacturers
(almost as low as no-name boards).  You'd expect much better from name
like Intel.  Bunch of strange problems and BIOS fixes for them that
half-work.  The latest and greatest (from yeasterday) is motherboard
that gets stuck even before POST if connected to KVM switch (unless it
is selected on the switch).  I had at least 50 different models of
motherboards connected to that KVM switch, and not a single problem
until I connected Intel motherboard to it.