Sound problems on FC3

Chadley Wilson chadley at pinteq.co.za
Thu Jan 27 16:54:22 UTC 2005

Greetings,

I have looked around on Googs and got a whole lot of noise about flacky
sound. Well I have a funny one here, I hope some one can guide me
through a fix.

The very first mp3 I play plays. (that would be using xmms with alsa oss
esd etc..) the second one jams up the sound, so if I let track 1 play to
the end and auto  start track 2 or if I double click track 2 , I hope
that makes sense to you as it does to me.

If I then try to play an mp3 or system sounds its almost as if it hangs,
not the PC just sound, if I adjust PCM or MASTER in gnome volume control
it crackles.
And then even restarting sound services does not help.

What I find super strange is yesterday it was fine. and apart from a few
docs worked on nothing has changed on my system.

I have also booted it with knoppix and sound is perfect.

How can I proceed to diagnose the problem?

Thanks for any responses in advance.

Chadley