dumb newbie question...

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 28 02:50:25 UTC 2005

--- Charles Malespin <cmalespin at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>   I have been trying to run a dual boot with XP and
> FC2.  I think I finally know what I need to do to
> get around the boot problems with XP.  I am making a
> CD of Knoppix to boot from.  How do I know if I need
> to shrink my windows partition, and how small do I
> make it?  I have a 160Gb hard drive and I want 60
> windows, 100 FC2.   After this I can just find out
> what my cyl. heads, etc are from knoppix and run the
> install normally.  Then enter those numbers at a
> command line right?  I just want to make sure that I
> am not missing any steps cause I have been reading
> 100 differnt ways to do it and I am getting
> confused.  Is this method going to work?  Thanks to
> all for the help today, sorry for the dumb newbie
> questions I just really wanna get started with
> linux!
> Charles

Yes, you can use Knoppix Live CD and qtparted to
partition the system.  But please be advised that
before you do that make sure that you:

0.  Copy important files/documents & burn them to CD
to prevent loss of your important data
1.  ScanDisk your C:\ in Windows
2.  Run DiskDefragmenter.
3.  Shutdown and boot Knoppix(if you're going to use
it), SystemRescueCD, Partition Magic, etc, to resize
the disk.
4.  Insert FC2-i386-disk1 or FC3-i386-dvd/FC2-i386-dvd
whichever one you are going to use.
5.  If you are ok with system defaults, choose option
to use free space and let the system install with the
defaults.  Else you can choose custom install with
your choice of which desktop environments to install
and which packages.
6.  In the bootloader section you can can edit instead
of "other" type in winXP or whatever you like
7.  Reboot.  If you cannot boot windows enter your
rescue disk and
8.  boot into linux-rescue and chroot /sysimage/???
then type grub-reinstall
"Members of the list please correct me in this part. I
can't remember the commands from the top of my head".
This should take care of it.  Don't panic.  There is a
lot of help and many kind people are going to be more
than willing to help.

Sometimes everything works to perfection.  You never
know.  But you have the information at hand and this
will guide you.  Try to do it.  It will be ok.

Cheers,

Antonio