FC3 sucks. It takes up too much memory!

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 28 02:56:29 UTC 2005

akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 01:59:43AM -0800, Mark Eggers wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 22:49 -0800, John Wendel wrote:
>>
>>I usually have a terminal window open, a web browser with multiple tabs,
>>Evolution mail, Pan (news reader), a system monitoring application,
>>Emacs, Netbeans or jEdit or Bluefish, and xmms.  If I'm writing web
>>pages, I have IE running under Wine (Crossover Office) as well.
>>
>>All this is done on a Dell 8200 with 768 M memory and a 60 GB hard disk.
>>The performance for a single person (me) is reasonable.  I can even shut
>>down a lot of the stuff and play Unreal Tournament acceptably.
>
> 768 M of memory is a lot of memory for an average "slub" (a technical
> term) to have in their machine when they decide to run a FCx
> installation. I fully believe you have no memory or swap problem with
> that much ram memory. We have no particular memory or speed problem
> with 500M of memory on our machines. But below that things get dicey.

As I stated in another message, I run FC3 on a system with 384MB of
memory.  I don't hit max memory until run a Java based Torrent client
for about an hour.  It is possible to run FC3 on a less than optimal
system, successfully.  But the footprint of FC is growing and that is a
disturbing trend.

And some problems cannot be solved by throwing more assets, such as
memory at it.

--
James McKenzie