User acounts caching somewhere, but where? - SOLVED

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 28 03:01:48 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 04:45:54PM -0700, Kevin Fries wrote:
> Kevin Fries wrote:
> | aaron hirsch wrote:
> | | Do you have nscd (Name Service Caching Daemon) running?  I'd check there
> | | first...
> |
> | OK, the plot thickens...
> | If I close nscd, then do the getent, everything works perfect.  If I
> | start it back up, the incorrect value are once again returned.  How can
> | I clear its cache, and get it to re-query everything?
>
> Turned persistence off in the /etc/ncsd.conf file, stopped then started,
> then stopped, then started the service (redundancies to make sure it did
> not persist on first shutdown)...
>
> Everyone is now represented the way they are supposed to.

Cache and persistence should be long enough that IT does not have to
pay overtime but not so long that updates do not happen.

It was Harder than I expected to find this.
The -i flag should have done the right thing
try it next time.

  -i, --invalidate=TABLE     Invalidate the specified cache

$  nscd --help
Usage: nscd [OPTION...]
Name Service Cache Daemon.

  -d, --debug                Do not fork and display messages on the current
                             tty
  -f, --config-file=NAME     Read configuration data from NAME
  -g, --statistic            Print current configuration statistic
  -i, --invalidate=TABLE     Invalidate the specified cache
  -K, --shutdown             Shut the server down
  -S, --secure=TABLE,yes     Use separate cache for each user
  -t, --nthreads=NUMBER      Start NUMBER threads
  -?, --help                 Give this help list
      --usage                Give a short usage message
  -V, --version              Print program version

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	spam unwanted email.