Time for the swtich has come.

Deron Meranda deron.meranda at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 03:46:22 UTC 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:06:56 -0500, Kyle Lagonegro (Student-Lagone37)
<Lagone37 at cortland.edu> wrote:
> 1) Is it a good idea to do the dual particion so I keep WinXP for a while?  Because frankly I want it gone as fast as possible...

It will be much easier to just wipe XP and use the whole disk for
Fedora.  However you certainly can set up a dual boot; but you'll have
to do more work and understand what's going on much more.  Unless you
have something important that you need XP for, just get rid of it.
Note that you will have to repartition your drive (which the Fedora
installation can step you through).

> 2) I'm hooked up to a LAN connection through my college, does Linux come with a web browser like Windows does, because if so I should have no problems with anything, I'm just worried about putting it on and not having the ability to get on for help.

Fedora should have no problem.  LAN (Ethernet) connections are
supported very well; it's usually modems that cause Linux the most
fits.  And the web browser bundled with Fedora (which is Mozilla, see
http://www.mozilla.org/) is top-notch, and most believe to be way
better than IE.

However if you are really worried about stranding yourself away from
any help, and you can't find anybody around you that can help (which
would be unlikely at a college), then you might want to keep your
XP---mainly to make you feel more comfortable.

Are you installing on a desktop or a laptop?  I only mention this
because laptop installation could be considered a little more "risky"
than a desktop one, mainly because of the strange and specialized
hardware.  Just trying to help you assess your risks if you can't ask
for help later.

> 3) I have a bunch of drivers and such that came with the computer, will they work for Linux, or are they only formatted for Windows?  The disks don't say windows on them at all, but I'm not sure.

You probably won't not need any drivers, certainly not any Windows
drivers.  Almost everything you'll need comes with Fedora.

Oh, if you download disks and burn them yourself; be sure to:
 1. Check the disks (can be done when you attempt to boot from
     disk #1, but before the hard drive is formatted/changed)
 2. Be sure to also download and burn the "rescue" CD.  If there
     ever is a big problem, then it can make recovery much easier.
     Better to have it and never need it than to need it and not have it.

> One question about this forum, is there a way to stop them from mailing everything to me, I'll just go to the site to check responds and such...

Near the bottom of the page is a button for Unsubscribe or Edit Preferences.
Log in and change your delivery preferences as you desire.

--
Deron Meranda