Simple database application...OO.org?

Mark Eggers mdeggers at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 28 04:31:19 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 21:00 -0400, Arthur Pemberton wrote:

> > Have you checked www.openoffice.org?
>
> Yes, this is what I'm refering to:
> http://www.openoffice.org/product/dbase.html

OpenOffice doesn't really provide a native database program.

>From the web site:
For simple database applications, OpenOffice.org 1.1 supports dBASE
(.dbf) databases without any additional software.

OpenOffice also supports MySQL databases natively, so if you have MySQL
connected and running, you can use OpenOffice to create databases.

You can set up Unix ODBC and then connect to a MySQL database or use the
MySQL JDBC drivers.

That said, you can create a file-based database right now.

1. Under Tools-->Data Sources right click under the list of data
   sources, and create a new data source.
2. Select DBase, and then fill in the URL with a file path.  Hint: use
   the Bibliography database URL as an example.
3. Now go to the Tables tab and select new table
4. Edit away

It's not very elegant, but it appears to work.  You can lace OpenOffice
into any database that has a JDBC or UNIX ODBC driver.  I'm not quite
sure where you place the drivers so that OpenOffice can load them, but
I'm sure it's buried in the documentation somewhere.

That said, I've been playing with DBDesigner (http://www.fabforce.net/).
There appears to be a problem with DBDesigner and MySQL 4 in that it
doesn't seem to want to take a password when connecting to a specific
database.  I haven't tried it via ODBC.  Also, the graphics aren't very
good since this is written in Delphi (I think).

I also use SQuirrel (http://squirrel-sql.sourceforge.net/).  I
personally think this a great tool for doing SQL queries, although it's
not much for developing databases.

> I don't mind. I just want to know how to get this database app on FC3

Hope this helps.

-----
/mde/
just my two cents . . . .