Cdrecord not working - please help!

Gain Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Fri Jan 28 06:26:21 UTC 2005

Robert Storey wrote:

>On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:53:58 -0500
>Steven Pasternak <stevenp500 at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>

>>I use FC2 kernel 2.6.5-1.358 and cdrecord 2.01.1-0.FC2.1 and cd
>>burning WON'T WORK!! I have /usr/bin/cdrecord set to 4711 and /dev/hdc
>>set to 666 and no luck! the md5sum checks out, and even burning as
>>root doesn't work! I went through 3 CD-Rs and all wasted. My burner
>>has a light that is green when reading, yellow for something else (I
>>think fixating) and red for burning. I have tried command line and
>>k3b. It will "start writing", be red for 1-2 seconds, then switch from
>>yellow to green many times. I try to kill it, but 1. it wont die 2. it
>>won't let me open my cdrom (even with eject, which freezes). Finally,
>>after a minute, it dies and gives me a worthless, dead,
>>partially-written-on cd-r. cdrecord says that it couldn't fixate disk.
>>Could it be cdrecord, permissions, or the kernel itself? Thanks!
>>-Steven
>>

>Dear Steven,
>
>Don't know about FC2, but on FC3, you have to do...
>
>up2date udev
>
>...to get it working properly.
>
>regards,
>Robert

On FC2 that's irrelevant since the distro is not udev compliant.... I'd
strongly suggest updating your kernel to *at least* version 2.6.7... FC2
was a bit jumpy on earlier versions of the kernel... And also a fully
updated systems is always recommended, since many thing have been fixed
since official release.