Newbie needing help

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Jan 28 06:25:32 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 14:55 -0800, M A L Wraight wrote:
> Sorry to bother you all, but I can't read anymore.
>
> I am a complete newbie to Linux and trying to learn it on my own. Bought
> "A Practical Guide to Red Hat Linux: Fedora Core and Red Hat Enterprise
> Linux", 2nd ed. Came with installation for 2.6 Kernel. I followed steps
> except I used $linux selinux for install. Now I am having issues.
>
> 1. Can only sign on with the root account - other account "john" created fails
>
> 2. Signed in as root, I can't browse /home/john
>
> 3. Log in fine with KDE but Gnome crashes and freezes
>
> 4. up2date has lots of potential updates, but I have been unable to download or
> install a single one.
>
> I have reinstalled (since I couldn't get very far) but the same issues appear.
> Any help would be appreciated.
----
reinstall - format partitions to ensure that anything flaky is gone

selinux was broken on FC-2 and still buggy on FC-3  - don't encourage it
by using linux selinux for install.

1. Use simple passwords at first - caps lock OFF

2. Root should be able to browse anywhere - sounds like selinux problem
but who knows

3. GUI isn't environment for root. You need to operate as a user and
switch to root when necessary. Configuration tools in menu's will ask
for root password when necessary. Terminal windows - you can change to
root user by typing 'su -' (not the quotes) and entering root password

4 Up2date works well for FC-2 and FC-3  FC-1 is in Fedora Legacy   I
haven't a clue which version of software you have in your hands but 2.6
kernel sounds like FC-2   If it is a 'testing' version, download FC-3
iso's and burn to disc's

Good luck - shouldn't be that hard at all. Methinks where ever you got
the idea to invoke linux selinux at install time was tossing you the
porcupine.

Craig