SC420 and Vesa driver in FC3

Bruno Eteve bruno.eteve at ej2p.com
Fri Jan 28 08:19:31 UTC 2005

Matt Florido wrote:
> * Gain Paolo Mureddu <gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx> [01-27-2005 22:41]:
>

>>Matt Florido wrote:
>>

>>>Encountered my first minor problem with the installation of FC3.  I
>>>can't seem to obtain a higher resolution than 1024x768.
>>>
>>>FC3 is using the generic Vesa driver.  I've attempted to change monitor
>>>settings, but nothing will take.  From what I've read, the Vesa is an
>>>acceptable driver.  Is there something I should attempt?
>>>

>>Could you please send me your xorg.conf file, so I could take a look and
>>see if there's something wrong... I've got a couple ideas of where the
>>problem might be located... Also, what are your monitor's values of
>>hsync and vsync, those are VERY important too... And what's the maximum
>>resolution your monitor supports?

I've a Dell SC420 and a Dell Ultrascan P991 screen (not recognized by the
FC3 installer).

I've set up the screen as "Generic CRT screen - 1280x1024 capable" during
install process and have the following in my xorg.conf (I can use the
1280x1024 resolution - hope this will help) :

Section "Monitor"
         Identifier   "Monitor0"
         VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
         ModelName    "Monitor 1280x1024"
         HorizSync    31.5 - 79.0
         VertRefresh  50.0 - 90.0
         Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
         Identifier  "Videocard0"
         Driver      "vesa"
         VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
         BoardName   "VESA driver (generic)"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
         Identifier "Screen0"
         Device     "Videocard0"
         Monitor    "Monitor0"
         DefaultDepth     24
         SubSection "Display"
                 Viewport   0 0
                 Depth     16
                 Modes    "800x600" "640x480"
         EndSubSection
         SubSection "Display"
                 Viewport   0 0
                 Depth     24
                 Modes    "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600"
"640x480"
         EndSubSection
EndSection

--
Bruno Eteve - http://www.ej2p.com
If you can lead it to water and force it to drink, it isn't a horse.