Pl 5000 Install

Robert Slade fedora at bathnetworks.com
Fri Jan 28 10:14:17 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 22:40, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Robert Slade wrote:
> > The beast is a Quad Processor PII with a Compaq Smart -2/P controller
> > and the CD is a Yamaha CRW2100S on the Second port of the Controller.
> >
> > From Gogling, I have found that the problem with RH in older versions
> > did not have support for the SCSI controller built in (NCR53c8xx?).
>
> Hmm. Any chance you can get it to do a network install? You might find
> this a lot easier than getting the installer to recognise the CD.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> James.
>
> --
> James Wilkinson       | "It was rare to catch His Holiness at the moment of
> Exeter    Devon    UK | transformation into the Infallible Hulk."
> E-mail address: james |     -- Chris Ward, Church Times caption competition.
> @westexe.demon.co.uk  |

Thanks James. I've been 'playing' with this some more. The problem seems
to occur right at the start The boot loader starts and tries to read the
CD. I get a list of messages which say something like iso image found at
00 and all the steps up to 9A (not sure about this as it goes by rather
fast). It looks like the Kernel at initial boot is seeing it as a series
of tracks (or images) rather than 1. Perhaps the problem lies with the
Kernal being booted initially.

I can get to the initial screen, and I can enter the mem=1048M (to
correct the mis read of the memory). I have tried the noprobe option too
so I can add the drivers manually but the machine dies with the message
Cannot open root device "NULL>" or unknown - block (8,3). etc. I have
tried putting in root=cd0, but that did not work either - I got the same
message with CD0 instead of the NULL before getting anywhere I can load
drivers etc.

I don't know if this is relevant, but the machine uses EISA and PCI
architecture.

I have ruled out the FC3 disks as they installed ok on another machine.
The machine runs Free BSD 5.3 rather slowly as the free BSD Kernal does
not support the multi processor option.

Rob