Fedora Community: Under threat?

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Fri Jan 28 10:23:09 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 03:52 -0600, Gain Paolo Mureddu wrote:
> I must confess your post puzzles me... On the one hand you say it very
> clearly... But I wonder what is the purpose of lists such as this?

I hope you won't mind if I don't reply in detail to your thoughtful and
well-written reply. I don't want this to turn into a thread which
exemplifies all the things I was decrying in my original posting. But I
agree with much of what you say: yes, the passions and the volume with
which they are expressed on this list is a sign of the health and vigour
of the Fedora community; but at the same time it is also a danger for
it. Many voices shouting loudly about nothing terribly important is not
productive. Remember that at this moment, with CVS (or is it SVN now?)
access still not opened up, these mailing lists are pretty much what
constitutes the Fedora community. And if these flame wars continue then
I think that community might dissipate horribly -- after all, how many
Red Hat engineers post here nowadays? I think that there is a danger
that people will leave this mailing list for good if it continues like
it is, and that will be a bad thing for everyone. That was the only
point I was trying to make.

Best, Darren