creating a sysv script

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Jan 28 15:45:37 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 07:51 +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 16:09 -0500, Scot L. Harris wrote:

> It appears from this that your milter-greylist properly daemonizes
> itself (i.e. it detaches itself from the terminal), unlike the milter
> Craig is trying to use. So I expect this script won't work for him.
>
> It might actually be easier to patch the (perl) milter to do this, in
> much the same way as the SPF milter does at
> http://spf.pobox.com/sendmail-milter-spf-1.41.pl
>
> (the relevant code is near the bottom of the file)
----
Yes, the script did not work for me because as you correctly
anticipated, it didn't detach itself from the terminal. I see the
comments in the linked script about where it detaches from the terminal
and will look at the script that I am using.

I obviously have 3 options now - modify the script I am using, or use
the 1 you referenced (and obviously all the implementation changes) or
the other one that Scott is referencing (and obviously all the
implementation changes).

I'm not adverse to other implementation and I generally look at these
things as the opportunity to learn. The stuff that I am looking at from
projects.puremagic.com uses mysql as the datastore and since I had mysql
running on it, wasn't hard to implement. So I will venture forth into
perl - with teeth clenched, perhaps for the learning experience - thanks
- and will keep you both posted on final/success or retreat to other
script.

Thanks Paul and Scott - you guys truly are gifted

Craig