install core 3 on a laptop that has xp already installed

Richard S. Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Fri Jan 28 18:31:34 UTC 2005

On Friday 28 January 2005 10:21 am, Charles Li flailed at a keyboard and
produced this:

> I was trying to install core 3, but the installer
> saids not free partition.  The laptop has a 80GB
> harddrive formated by XP, it had around 40GB of free
> space.  What are my options.

It's not sufficient that it have 40GB of free space.  It needs to be
partitioned properly.  Use a partitioning tool (I like "Partition Magic") to
create a separate Linux Native (ext2 or ext3) partition for your FC3
installation.  Once that partition is created, your disks should install FC3
just fine.  Be careful that you don't overwrite your Windows partition when
you install it, as I almost did had I not double-checked the options on that
screen.

I would *very seriously* recommend getting a nice thick book about Fedora Core
3 (I think Que has a "Fedora Core 3 Bible") which should have a good chapter
explaining this partitioning thing.  I don't say this to be pedantic or
condescending; I gather that you're very new to Fedora Core 3, and books such
as these really helped me figure out what I was doing years ago (back when I
was using Red Hat 7.2).  If I misunderstand your experience level, I
apologize.

--
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford (mailto: rscrawford at mossroot.com)