java plugin for mozilla on FC1

David Forsman dforsman1065 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 28 19:22:07 UTC 2005

--- Nigel Wade <nmw at ion.le.ac.uk> wrote:

> David Forsman wrote:
> > I am running FC1 with mozilla and downloaded and
> > installed java plugin version 1.4.2 on the system,
> > went thru all the configuration steps, the system
> says
> > it's running this version.  but the web pages that
> use
> > the java plugin still won't do anything.  is there
> > work around or am I going to have to upgrade to
> FC2?
> >

> What version of Java do the web pages require? If
> they are specific to the
> MSVM (i.e. the broken one) then they may well only
> work with the MSVM/IE.
> What do you see when you attempt to start an applet?

When I attempt to start the applet, I get a dialog box
that says "This page contains information of a type
(application/x-java-vm) that can only be viewed with
the appropriate Plug-in."

the title of the dialog box reads "Default Plugin".

> Have a look in the Java console and see if there are
> any errors listed (IIRC
> for Moz. that's in Tools->Web Development->Java
> Console).

in the Java Plug-in Control Panel the various tabs
read as follows

Basic: Show Console
Advanced:
            Java Runtime Environment: JRE 1.4.2_05 in
      /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_05
Proxies:  no proxies set.
Cache:
        Enable Caching
        /home/david/.java/deployment/cache/javapi/v1.0
       maximum 50

Cerificates   signed applet  none listed

no listed errors in the java console.