quick one--umaske for 777?

Robert Locke rlocke at ralii.com
Fri Jan 28 23:43:07 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 18:15 -0500, Joe Szilagyi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having a brain lapse and can't find the right one off Google--what's the
> umask value to set in my FTP conf file to have final uploaded files *arrive*
> with a chmod of 777?
>
> Bad security, I know, but its for a project... thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Joe

Hey Joe,

Not sure that one is possible.  All files start with a maximum of 666
with the umask removing from there.  Directories are the only ones that
start with 777.  So a umask of 0000 would allow the maximum.  It is
common convention to have to chmod +x the file to add the execute
permission that should only be needed to "execute" the file.....

There might be something you can do within the ftp server perhaps that
could modify the behavior, but the above is standard Unix/Linux....

--Rob