Time for the swtich has come.

Richard S. Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Sat Jan 29 00:03:13 UTC 2005

On Friday 28 January 2005 3:54 pm, Gain Paolo Mureddu flailed at a keyboard
and produced this:
> >While this is true, I'd recomend against it.
> >
> >Widespread accpetance of web standards is not going to happen if site
> >maintainers continue to think 95%+ of their traffic is from IE users.
> >
> >Besides, any site that requires a particular browser must be of such low
> >quality as to be not worth visiting. I can't think of any sites I visit
that
> >have such a stupid restriction.
> >

> As unfortunate as it is, my bank for e-banking services REQUIRES (via
> UsetAgent string) IE and/or Netscape 7.x. That's just plain stupid, I've
> told them to only check the Mozilla part of the string so users with
> other Mozilla-based browsers like Firefox or Opera can also access the
> sites... They do not listen.

I certainly wasn't advocating spoofing the useragent string *all* the time.
Only on those few sites that say they require IE, when they really don't.  My
bank's pretty good at making their website standards compliant, so I can get
to it with any browser, but there is one other site I visit frequently that
says it requires NS or IE, even though it works perfectly well in Firefox.
Again, I've written to the webmaster about this, but to no avail.

It's an uphill struggle.

--
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford (mailto: rscrawford at mossroot.com)