Website using port 85

Deron Meranda deron.meranda at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 08:59:08 UTC 2005

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 02:40:18 -0500, Steven J. Brown
<sbrown3 at optonline.net> wrote:
> Forwarding is actually to http://69.113.88.148:85/mia.  Perhaps I should
> redirect to the /mia subdirectory.  Now my firewall forwards port 443 to
> 85, so I can access the site from work using
> http://69.113.88.148:443/mia/ (for some reason, if I don't use a
> trailing forward slash, it times out).

The reason you need the trailing slash is because the web standards
say it's mandatory.  The "mia" part is actually a directory name on your
webserver.  And so relative URL syntax works properly (for instance
"." and ".."), the trailing slash is necessary.

Apache is designed to automatically send a redirect back to the
browser if it sees a request URL without the slash when it should
have one.  Normally this redirect is completely invisible.  You can
actually see the redirect:

  $ curl --head http://69.113.88.148:85/mia
  HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently