Matrox G450 or nVidia Quadro NVS on FC2

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Sat Jan 29 09:49:32 UTC 2005

Am Freitag, den 28.01.2005, 09:48 -0600 schrieb Aaron Scamehorn:
> Has anyone had any luck with either of these cards on FC2?

I used both on different systems with FC1 and FC2. Both work without any
problems and are well supported by the distribution itself. You can
install and use the system with the xorg drivers as long as you don't
have special requirements (e.g. dual head support or some features of
hardware acceleration). I found the screen quality of both very similar,
maybe the nvidia is a little little bit crispier.

If you have to install the manufactures drivers, the matrox is easier to
maintain in case of kernel updates (afer each update you have to boot in
runlevel 3 and reinstall the driver from the command line). And
sometimes you can't update your kernel until nvidia does release a new
version of its drivers. And in case of xinerama nvidia has a own
solution which works well but differs from the way is ist usually done
in xorg.

I have decided to replace my nvidia by a matrox. If you buy a new one,
you should buy a 550, which can be operated by the free drivers in much
more situations.

Peter