restarting cups

Robert Locke rlocke at ralii.com
Sat Jan 29 18:25:26 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-29 at 10:02 +0800, Robert Storey wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> An odd thing I've noticed about Fedora 3 is that I can stop the cups
> daemon from running, but I can't start or restart it (unless I reboot):
>
> root at sonic:~> cd /etc/init.d
> root at sonic:/etc/init.d> ./cups stop
> Stopping cups:                                             [  OK  ]
> root at sonic:/etc/init.d> ./cups start
> Starting cups: cupsd: Child exited with status 99!
>                                                            [FAILED]
> root at sonic:/etc/init.d> ./cups restart
> Stopping cups:                                             [FAILED]
> Starting cups: cupsd: Child exited with status 99!
>
> I'm just wondering is anybody knows why this is so? I've tried other
> Linux
> distros and haven't encountered this particular issue before.
>
> best regards,
> Robert
Hi there,

Just to let you know that you are not insane, I have started
experiencing the same thing of late.  My problem is that when cups tries
to start at boot time, I get the same message and /var/log/messages is
not any more informative.  My success is that I can manually start cups
by doing a "service cups start" after the fact.  I just haven't had time
to further track it down.

I will say that it started showing up after I tried "sharing" the
printer to my VMWare Guest Windows XP system.  I tried defining the
sharing through system-config-printer GUI.  I also glanced at the
configuration using the http://localhost:631/ URL but didn't change
anything.  BTW, the sharing is working but the annoyance at reboot time
started up after I tried adding sharing...

Sorry I can't be of more help, but perhaps you have been tinkering in
the same area?

--Rob